Monday, June 18, 2018

Carnival Reaching for Zero

This morning I received a press release that said Carnival Corp had signed an agreement with the international NGO Bellona Foundation to continue improving the cruise industry's sustainable practices.

“So what? Who cares?” I thought. This will do about as much good as one of those things like when they give a half million dollars to some international organization to end world hunger.

But then just as my cursor approached the arrow that would put the press release back in the electronic stack of press releases I'll never look at again, my eye fell on the line in the press release that said, “Setting an aspirational goal of zero emissions in port and during operations in pristine areas will help to force breakthrough approaches in technology and operations to reach that goal.”

The complete story appeared in the June 18 edition of Cruise News Daily.