The US Coast Guard medevaced a 65-year-old man from Holland America's Oosterdam on Sunday (February 6, 2010) when the ship was 250-miles southwest of San Diego, and they provided some great video of the operation.
The video was shot from a Coast Guard HC-130 Hercules aircraft which accompanied the MH-60 Dolphin helicopter crew from San Diego to provide long-range visual and communications coverage. It was circling Oosterdam while the MH-60 hovered over the bow. In the video, you can see the crew first hoisting the patient, followed by a nurse from the cruise ship. Notice also the speed at which both the ship and the helicopter are moving while the operation takes place.
Monday, February 7, 2011
Friday, January 7, 2011
Crew Members Overboard from Volendam
Updated: 2:55am, eastern - Two crew members aboard Holland America's Volendam accidentally fell overboard January 8 while performing routine maintenance at Christchurch (New Zealand).
According to a Holland America spokesperson, the accident occurred about 2:30pm Saturday afternoon (New Zealand time). While performing routine maintenance on a lifeboat, one of the securing cables broke, and the two fell into the water. Another lifeboat was immediately launched, and one man was quickly retrieved. Local authorities were contacted to assist in the search for the second crew member.
Local media said that a helicopter and divers were employed in the search. The 32-year-old man was later found deceased.
The first man was taken to a local hospital and released with only minor injuries.
Volendam was on a 14-day cruise which departed Sydney on January 2.
Complete details will appear in Monday's edition of Cruise News Daily.
According to a Holland America spokesperson, the accident occurred about 2:30pm Saturday afternoon (New Zealand time). While performing routine maintenance on a lifeboat, one of the securing cables broke, and the two fell into the water. Another lifeboat was immediately launched, and one man was quickly retrieved. Local authorities were contacted to assist in the search for the second crew member.
Local media said that a helicopter and divers were employed in the search. The 32-year-old man was later found deceased.
The first man was taken to a local hospital and released with only minor injuries.
Volendam was on a 14-day cruise which departed Sydney on January 2.
Complete details will appear in Monday's edition of Cruise News Daily.
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Latest Video Update from Brilliance of the Seas
The first of the week Royal Caribbean's SVP of Marine Operations, Capt Bill Wright, recorded a video in his Miami office to talk about the incident aboard Brilliance of the Seas when it ran into heavy seas in the Mediterranean. Today, he recorded an update from the ship's bridge while it was at Malta.
In addition to this video, Wright and Brilliance's captain, Erik Tengelsen, recorded an interview with the the Times of Malta. That video shows some of the damage to the ship and can be seen on the paper's website.
In addition to this video, Wright and Brilliance's captain, Erik Tengelsen, recorded an interview with the the Times of Malta. That video shows some of the damage to the ship and can be seen on the paper's website.
Carnival Cancels Additional Splendor Sailings
Carnival Cruise Lines announced this morning that Carnival Splendor will be out of service until February 20, 2011.
The line had previously canceled sailings through January 16, 2011 while repairs are completed from fire in the engine room in November.
Passengers on the canceled cruises are receiving a full refund or a future cruise credit in the amount they have paid. If they choose to rebook, they will receive a 25% discount and an onboard credit.
We'll have additional details in today's edition of Cruise News Daily.
The line had previously canceled sailings through January 16, 2011 while repairs are completed from fire in the engine room in November.
Passengers on the canceled cruises are receiving a full refund or a future cruise credit in the amount they have paid. If they choose to rebook, they will receive a 25% discount and an onboard credit.
We'll have additional details in today's edition of Cruise News Daily.
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Royal Caribbean "Speaks" about Brilliance Incident
Royal Caribbean's SVP of Marine Operations took to You Tube to speak to customers (and the world) directly about Sunday's incident aboard Brilliance of the Seas where it encountered heavy sea which resulted to several passenger injuries, some breakage onboard, and some cosmetic damage to the ship's interior.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)